Friday, September 11, 2009

So About That College Football Preview...



As you may recall, I promised you an epically huge college football preview. Well, believe me when I say that I didn't forget, but seeing as how we are officially into week two of the 2009 season, those of you who eagerly perched on the edge of your seats can now safely return to your customary reclined positions.

I do feel I owe you an explanation, so here it is: life gets in the way. Obviously, MikeLikesSports isn't my job (and thank God, otherwise I would have been fired somewhere between late August and that horrendous YouTube Tuesday effort from this week), so whatever time I have to write will always be subordinate to my real career.

Hopefully, this one day WILL be my full time career and I WILL fulfill the promises I make about writing more consistently as it will be my source of income. Right now, however, it isn't.

Of course, this is compounded by the fact that as a recent college graduate, I need to get a full time job to begin with, which isn't so simple these days; I don't know if you heard, but there's a rumor going around that the economy isn't doing so hot lately.

So, full time job hunting + working long hours for no money = exhaustion, and for the past month or so, that means coming home from work with little to no creative energy.

Hence the lack of material.

The good news is that while this college preview was only 2/3rds of the way completed, it's still chock full of content. As in 5,000 words of content.

That's right, I was going to give you a 7,500 word college football preview (I TOLD you it was going to be epically huge).

The format was a MikeLikeSports original called The Final Countdown. Basically, I'd start with an item of 10 (ie 10 first year starters to watch), then progress to an item of 9 (9 returning starters who will make the leap), 8 (words that will affect college football in 2010), and so on. It's something unique, catchy, and insightful - everything I'm striving to do here.

But, alas, it didn't happen. So what I'm going to do is post what I do have - all 5,000 words of it - over the course of the season (I might retool sections and flesh them out a bit). Remember this format, though, because I'm going to use it again in the future.

One last disclaimer that will likely be reposted on the individual sections. I wrote all of this before the college football season started. Already, that entails both inaccuracy and validation, which happens with every set of predictions. Just remember that as you read these, especially since certain players are already doing what I expected, and some teams **cough Oklahoma** did not. Nothing was changed after football season started.

Now that we have that out of the way, I'll post the first section momentarily and likely the second one later tomorrow. Hope you enjoy, and that things straighten out soon.

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment